Thursday Thirteen #2–Childhood Summertime MemoriesBy APOOO • Aug 7th, 2008 • Category: APOOO Features, Hot Fun in the Summertime, Thursday Thirteen • Email This Post • Print This Post
Growing up I loved school and always looked forward to the first day of school but as the year rolled on…I also couldn’t wait for the first day of summer. My childhood was wonderful and my summers were great. So, in keeping with APOOO’s Hot Fun in the Summertime theme for this month, today I will share thirteen things that I enjoyed when school was out…oh the joys of growing up in Florida during the 60s/70s when it was truly a different world from what my kids experience living in the suburbs today. So, besides the usual suspects of No School, sleeping late, going to bed late, staying outside until the street lights came on, check out what else made my summertime list.
Thirteen Things about MY CHILDHOOD SUMMERS
- Florida Crabs (get your mind of the gutter…lol; it’s the kind you eat. Of course, I ate too many as a kid and today I will not touch anything other than a crab leg.)
- Getting the lead part in the Summer Rec Program play–it was so wonderful to be the star…lol.
- Vacations with the family–Summers in DC–growing up wasn’t anything like spending summers in my birthplace or hanging out with my kinfolks in Louisiana (I can do a Thursday Thirteen just on them)
- Hanging out at the pier (oh the advantages of growing up around water; in my case a bay and the Gulf of Mexico…with a few lakes sprinkled in between)
- First Kiss (Summer of 13th b-day)
- Family Reunions (and the colorful cast of characters…but there was also a lot of talent in the family also)
- First Boyfriend (Summer of Sweet Sixteen b-day)
- First Car (Summer of Sweet Sixteen b-day)
- Tuesday Matinees (During the summer of my junior high years every Tuesday a group of friends and I got together and walked two miles one way to the movies…we had much fun during this every Tuesday.)
- Cookouts at Fort Desoto Park and Beach
- Summer Recreation Camp (everything and everybody would hang out at the local neighborhood rec center)
- Swimming every day (after Tuesday Matinees we would head to the pool and swim under dinner time)
- Vacation Bible School (hey our VBS was where all the neighborhood kids would hang out because the party at the end was the bestest!)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
APOOO is a book club and an online author and reader community dedicated to advancing African American literature. Our mission is to expose readers of all ages to a good book in any genre; to support African American authors, books, literary events and bookclubs; to provide marketing resources, tools and tips to authors; and, to promote literacy within the African American community.
Email this author | All posts by APOOO